MIMM 214 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Innate Immune System, Chemotaxis, Sepsis

23 views4 pages

Document Summary

Systemic means all over the body (no way to stop it) 1) all 3 pathways of complement activation all will end up generating c3 which promote formation of anaphylotoxins, that have chemoattraction properties to site of infection that will generate inflammation. Cytokines made by macrophages cause all of the symptoms of the common cold (viral infection) I. e. congestion: mucus and extravascular fluid due to increase blood supply and extravasation into the tissues mediated by cytokines like tnf (treatment: vasoconstrictors) I. e. fever: systemic response to high levels of il-1 and il-6. I. e. aching: primarily in lower back due to tnf and type i interferons (very pro-inflammatory) Response: innate immune response cause sepsis if response too large. Proteins and leads to il-1 and il-18 release. Ability to activate interleukins stems from our ability to form complexes called inflammasomes. When cell is damaged inflammasome complex is formed that will lead to the formation of cytokines that are very pro- inflammatory.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers