ENST 1020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Megacity, Global City, Centrality

29 views7 pages

Document Summary

An urban area can be defined by one or more of the following. Administrative criteria or political boundaries (i. e. area within the jurisdiction of a municipality or town committee) The minimum for an settlement is typically in the region of 2,000 people. Economic function (i. e. where a significant majority of the population is not primarily engaged in agriculture. The presence of urban characteristics (i. e. paved streets, electric lighting, sewerage) Changing definitions of urban areas overtime comparative studies difficult. Availability of easy transportation and other infrastructure facilities. A metropolitan area or an urban agglomeration with a population of 10 million or more. The population of a built-up or densely populated area containing the city proper, suburbs and continuously settled commuter areas or adjoining territory proper, suburbs and continuously settled commuter areas or adjoining territory inhabited at urban levels of residential density. A rapidly growing urban cluster surrounded by low-density hinterland.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers