ECON 3601 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: International Trade, Imperfect Competition, Perfect Competition

101 views5 pages
Chapter 7 External Economies of Scale and The International Location of Production
Introduction
• The odels of opaatie adatage thus fa assued ostat etus to sale:
When inputs to an industry increase at a certain rate, output increases at the same rate.
If inputs were doubled, output would double as well.
• But thee a e ieasig etus to scale or economies of scale:
This means that when inputs to an industry increase at a certain rate, output increases at a
faster rate.
A larger scale is more efficient: the cost per unit of output falls as a firm or industry increases
output.
• Mutuall eefiial tade a aise as a result of economies of scale.
• Iteatioal tade peits eah out to podue a liited age of goods without
sacrificing variety in consumption.
• With tade, a out a take adatage of eooies of sale to podue oe effiietl
than if it tried to produce everything for itself.
Economies of Scale and Market Structure
• Eooies of sale ould mean either that larger firms or a larger industry would be more
efficient.
• Eteal eooies of sale ou he ost pe uit of output depeds o the size of the
industry.
• Iteal eooies of sale ou he the ost pe uit of output depeds on the size of a
firm.
• Both eteal ad iteal eooies of sale ae ipotat auses of iteatioal tade.
• The hae diffeet ipliatios fo the stutue of idusties:
An industry where economies of scale are purely external will typically consist of many small
firms and be perfectly competitive.
Internal economies of scale result when large firms have a cost advantage over small firms,
causing the industry to become imperfectly competitive.
The Theory of External Economies
• Ma odern examples of industries that seem to be powerful external economies:
In the United States, the semiconductor industry is concentrated in Silicon Valley, investment
banking in New York, and the entertainment industry in Hollywood.
In developing countries such as China, external economies are pervasive in manufacturing.
• Oe to i Chia podues ost of the olds underwear, another nearly all cigarette
lighters.
External economies played a key role in Indias emergence as a major exporter of information
services.
• Idia ifoatio seies opaies ae still lusteed in Bangalore.
• Eteal eooies a eist fo a fe reasons:
1. Specialized equipment or services may be needed for the industry, but are only supplied by
other firms if the industry is large and concentrated.
For example, Silicon Valley in California has a large concentration of silicon chip companies,
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
which are serviced by companies that make special machines for manufacturing silicon chips.
These machines are cheaper and more easily available there than elsewhere.
2. Labor pooling: a large and concentrated industry may attract a pool of workers, reducing
employee search and hiring costs for each firm.
3. Knowledge spillovers: workers from different firms may more easily share ideas that benefit
each firm when a large and concentrated industry exists.
• Repeset eteal eooies sipl  assuig that the lage the idust, the lower the
industrys costs.
• Thee is a foad-falling supply curve: the larger the industrys output, the lower the price at
which firms are willing to sell.
• Without iteatioal tade, the uusual slope of the supply curve doesnt matter much.
External Economies and International Trade
• Pio to iteatioal tade, euilibrium prices and output for each country would be at the
point where the domestic supply curve intersects the domestic demand curve.
• Suppose Chiese utto pies i the asee of tade ould e loe tha U.S. utto
prices.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 7 external economies of scale and the international location of production. Introduction: the (cid:373)odels of (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:396)ati(cid:448)e ad(cid:448)a(cid:374)tage thus fa(cid:396) assu(cid:373)ed (cid:272)o(cid:374)sta(cid:374)t (cid:396)etu(cid:396)(cid:374)s to s(cid:272)ale: When inputs to an industry increase at a certain rate, output increases at the same rate. If inputs were doubled, output would double as well: but the(cid:396)e (cid:373)a(cid:455) (cid:271)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:396)easi(cid:374)g (cid:396)etu(cid:396)(cid:374)s to scale or economies of scale: This means that when inputs to an industry increase at a certain rate, output increases at a faster rate. An industry where economies of scale are purely external will typically consist of many small firms and be perfectly competitive. Internal economies of scale result when large firms have a cost advantage over small firms, causing the industry to become imperfectly competitive. The theory of external economies: ma(cid:374)(cid:455) (cid:373)odern examples of industries that seem to be powerful external economies:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers