ECON 3601 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Standard Model, List Of Post-Nominal Letters, Indifference Curve

37 views8 pages
Chapter 6 The Standard Model
• Stadard trade odel is a geeral odel that iludes Riardia, speifi fators, ad
Heckscher-Ohlin models as special cases.
Two goods, food (F) and cloth (C).
Each countrys PPF is a smooth curve.
• Differees in labor services, labor skills, physical capital, land, and technology between
countries cause differences in production possibility frontiers.
• A outr’s PPF determines its relative supply function.
• Natioal relatie suppl futios deterie a orld relative supply function, which along
with world relative demand determines the equilibrium under international trade.
Production Possibilities and Relative Supply
• What a outr produes depeds o the relatie prie of loth to food PC /PF.
• A eonomy chooses its production of cloth QC and food QF to maximize the value of its
output V = PCQC + PF QF, given the prices of cloth and food.
The slope of an isovalue line equals (PC /PF).
Produce at point where PPF is tangent to isovalue line.
• Relative prices and relative supply:
An increase in the price of cloth relative to food PC /PF makes the isovalue line steeper.
Production shifts from point Q1 to point Q2.
Supply of cloth relative to food QC /QF rises.
Relative supply of cloth to food increases with the relative price of cloth to food.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 8 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Relative Prices and Demand
• The alue of the eoo’s consumption must
equal the value of the economys production.
PC DC + PF DF = PC QC + PF QF = V
• Assue that the eoo’s consumption decisions may be represented as if they were based
on the tastes of a single representative consumer.
• A idifferee ure represets oiatios of loth ad food that leae the osuer
equally well off (indifferent).
• Idifferee ures
are downward sloping if you have less cloth, then you must have more food to be equally
satisfied.
that lie farther from the origin make consumers more satisfied they prefer having more of
both goods.
become flatter when they move to the right with
more cloth and less food, an extra yard of cloth becomes less valuable in terms of how many
calories of food you are willing to give up for it.
• Cosuptio hoie is ased o preferees ad relatie prie of goods:
Consume at point D where the isovalue line is
tangent to the indifference curve.
• Eoo eports loth — the quantity of cloth produced exceeds the quantity of cloth
consumed and imports food.
• Relatie pries ad relatie dead
An increase in the relative price of cloth PC /PF
causes consumption choice to shift from point D1 to point D2.
Demand for cloth relative to food DC /DF falls.
Relative demand for cloth to food falls as the relative price of cloth to food rises.
Unlock document

• A eoo that eports loth is etter off he the price of cloth rises relative to the
price of food:
the isovalue line becomes steeper and a higher indifference curve can be reached.
• A higher relatie prie of loth eas that ore alories of food a e iported for eer
yard of cloth exported.
If the economy cannot trade:
The relative price of cloth to food is determined by the intersection of relative demand and
relative supply for that country.
Consume and produce at point D3 where the
indifference curve is tangent to the production
possibilities frontier.
The Welfare Effects of Changes in the
Unlock document

Document Summary

Chapter 6 the standard model: sta(cid:374)dard trade (cid:373)odel is a ge(cid:374)eral (cid:373)odel that i(cid:374)(cid:272)ludes ri(cid:272)ardia(cid:374), spe(cid:272)ifi(cid:272) fa(cid:272)tors, a(cid:374)d. Two goods, food (f) and cloth (c). The slope of an isovalue line equals (pc /pf). Produce at point where ppf is tangent to isovalue line: relative prices and relative supply: An increase in the price of cloth relative to food pc /pf makes the isovalue line steeper. Production shifts from point q1 to point q2. Supply of cloth relative to food qc /qf rises. Relative supply of cloth to food increases with the relative price of cloth to food. Relative prices and demand: the (cid:448)alue of the e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)(cid:455)"s consumption must equal the value of the economy"s production. Are downward sloping if you have less cloth, then you must have more food to be equally satisfied. That lie farther from the origin make consumers more satisfied they prefer having more of both goods.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers