BILD 3 Chapter Notes - Chapter 43: Habitat Destruction, Atmospheric Chemistry, Molecular Genetics

25 views2 pages

Document Summary

2. three levels of biodiversity: genetic diversity a. i. Genetic variation within and between populations: species diversity a. i. a. ii. a. ii. a. ii. One that is in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range. Those considered likely to become endangered in the near future: ecosystem diversity a. i. Ecosystems are being altered at a rapid pace with human work as well as extinctions of corresponding species. 2. benefits of species and genetic diversity: many new products and genetic resources that could be used to improve crop qualities a. i. About 25% of pharmacies contain substances originally from plants: each loss of a species means the loss of unique genes that could code for enormously useful proteins. 2. ecosystem services: encompass all the processes through which natural ecosystems help sustain human life a. i. a. ii. Detoxify and decompose wastes and pollinate crops etc: because there is no monetary value to natural ecosystems, we undervalue it. 2. threats to biodiversity: habitat loss a. i. a. ii. a. iii. a. iv.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers