RTV 3405 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Propaganda Model, Positio, Noam Chomsky

71 views11 pages

Document Summary

Narrative (story): a written or spoken account of interconnected character and events. Agency: ability to make choices and take action. Antagonist: the obstacles to reaching that goal: these can be an individual or a group. Incitement: a(cid:895) esta(cid:271)lish the (cid:862)(cid:374)o(cid:396)(cid:373)al(cid:863: introduce the characters (cid:272)(cid:895) 1st tu(cid:396)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g poi(cid:374)t (cid:862)i(cid:374)(cid:272)iti(cid:374)g i(cid:374)(cid:272)ide(cid:374)t(cid:863) disrupt the norm, 2. Setback: protagonist tries to resolve the problem, leads to more problem, antagonists are introduced, 3. Climax: resolution, the tension is resolved, back to norm, but characters have developed. So what is unique about tv narratives: not very different from traditional drama/ theater, same narrative structure. It does not have more characters: but kind of unique in terms of format and focus: Series: self-contained stories in each episode, recurring characters, easy-to-pick-up for new audiences. Serials: continuous story arcs across episodes, deeper character and plot development, difficult for new audience to pick up mid-way. The difference is increasingly difficult to tell apart today with complex narratives.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers