PSYC 7 Study Guide - Final Guide: Telomere, Procedural Memory, White Matter

31 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 14 physical & cognitive development in late adulthood: biological theories of aging, rate-of-living theory a. i. Basic idea that the rate of a creature"s metabolism is related to how long it lives: programmed theory b. i. Many diseases associated with aging have a genetic component: cellular theories c. i. Become shorter with each cell division limits number of times a cell can divide c. ii. Highly reactive chemicals produced randomly in normal metabolism: physiological changes, neurons a. i. Damaged or defective neurons form around a core of protein a. iii. Some plaques and tangles are normal but with age, large amounts alzheimer"s and other dementia: cognitive processes a. How quickly a person reacts to a specific response a. ii. Slows with age because adults take longer to decide whether they need to respond a. ii. 2. Due in part to declines in the brain"s white matter which aids faster neural transmission: memory b. i. Frontal area is more active because we use more brain power to compensate b. i. 2. b.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers