BILD 3 Study Guide - Final Guide: California Floristic Province, Biome, Gulf Stream

140 views2 pages

Document Summary

Learning objectives for bild 3, spring 2016 dr. sarah stockwell. You should be able to: define ecology and its components, scientific study of the interactions that determine the distribution and abundance of organisms a. i) perspectives (a. i. 1) Functional (a. i. 2. a) immediate cause for where things are now (a. i. 3) Evolutionary (a. i. 3. a) how did the community of species evolve here vs somewhere else: define climate, and explain how the sun drives global climate patterns. Specifically, describe why the poles are cold and the tropics are warm, and what leads to seasonal variation in climate: climate a. i) the long-term, prevailing weather conditions in a given area. More moderate temperatures (warmer winter and colder summer: define biomes, and identify the major factors used to define biomes in terrestrial environments. 20% of named vascular plants: explain what is special about the california floristic province. a) It is a biodiversity hotspot a. i) lots of endemic plant species: describe how chaparral responds to fire. a)