BILD 3 Study Guide - Final Guide: Species Complex, Adaptive Radiation, Polyploid

191 views3 pages
30 May 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Speciation: explain why this is not a paradox: an individual from any time in the human lineage could interbreed successfully with another individual in the lineage who lived 1000 years earlier. Lecture/textbook: define each of the following species concepts. For each, give an example of a kind of organism for which they work well and a kind for which they don"t apply very well: biological species concept a. i. A species is a group whose members have the potential to interbreed in nature and produce viable, fertile offspring a. ii. Good example: horse and donkey interbreed to mules a. ii. 1. However mules are sterile, so they are another species because they can"t breed with other species a. iii. Because bacteria asexually reproduces, the biological species concept doesn"t apply to bacteria: morphological species concept b. i. Species are defined by body shape and other structural features (morphological traits) b. ii. Species that are morphologically identical but genetically distinct: ecological species concept c. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers