BILD 3 Study Guide - Final Guide: Balancing Selection, Genetic Drift, Heterozygote Advantage

133 views4 pages
30 May 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Compare and contrast artificial and natural selection. Explain why not all phenotypic variation is inherited, and the term used to describe phenotypic variation resulting from environmental changes. Be able to give an example of non-heritable phenotypic variation: genotype is the genetic composition of an organism while phenotype is the characteristics of an organism as a result of genes and the environment a. i. Not all phenotypic variation is inherited because some genotypes are also not inherited such as common sense a. i. 1. Phenotypic variation can occur as a result from environmental changes because the environment selects for a better phenotype or by how the environment physically affects a certain phenotype a. i. 1. a. Conservation: staying the same over evolutionary time because changes are harmful a. ii. Purifying selection conserves useful traits: give an example of an allele being beneficial, harmful, or neutral depending on the environment, beneficial a. i. Example: loss of pigments in cave tetra a. i. 1. a. a. ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers