LIFESCI 15 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Kin Selection, Heredity, Eye Contact

188 views3 pages
3 Jun 2018
School
Department
Professor
2/5/18 20 multiple choice, 6 short answer
1. Scientific thinking, what is it for? And be able to use it
- I , L’Oéal as foud  FTC to hae ade false lais that its skiae poduts had ati-
agig…isil ouge ski i 7 das. What oseatios should L’Oéal poide to sa that thei
claims are true?
- Articulate hypothesis, the experiment, how you would interpret the data and what it means
2. How does a hypothesis differ from a theory or prediction?
3. What does it mean to control an experiment?
- Randomized control, double blind
4. Compare and contrast superstition, anecdotal observations, and pseudoscience
5. If more and more observations support a hypothesis, do you predict it to be true? If not, why?
- NO
- You do’t poe it tue, ou get to a poit hee ou have so much confidence (different
researchers, different critical experiments)
- Poit of eig so ofidet it’s tue
6. What is evolution? How can it occur?
- 4 ways: NS, genetic drift, mutation, migration (genetic flow)
- Ex: antibiotic resistant strains of microbes that cause illness
7. What is natural selection and how does it work?
- Most important
- 3 conditions: heritability, variability, differential reproductive success
- Natual seletio is oe of  as eolutio a ou, it ous he the  oditios … are
satisfied it happens when dog breeders breed dogs for bigger ears
8. What ideas and observations influenced Darwin?
- In his time people thought that everyone was put on the planet at the same time but he saw
thigs that did’t fit ito this idea
9. What is artificial selection and why does it almost always work?
- Artificial selection is natural selection but humans choose the differential reproduction success
- Alas oks  thee’s aiatio ad heitailit
- If we choose the differential reproductive success that iplies that thee’s aiatio
- Need to have the 3 conditions satisfied
- Ex: bred fruit flies to have super hairy (bristle) legs
10. Ho is geeti dift elated to Medel’s st law?
- Genetic drift: random change in allele frequencies
- Law of segregation: organism starts as gametes but fertilization brings it up to the normal set of
pairs of chromosomes
11. Sexual selection, what is it and why does it sometimes lead to tradeoffs?
- Maiize epodutie suess hile haig the; ostl taits
- Natural selection where female choose males based off of important traits
i. One sex choosing the differential reproductive success
- Directional selection will occur for that trait lead to tradeoffs
i. Ex: huge tail feather in peacocks are hard to live with
12. Reaction norms: how does the slope describe the relationship between genotypes and phenotypes?
- Explain the graph
- All the possible phenotypes from a genotype if you could raise that genotype in all types of
environments
- Aout the eioet’s ifluee
- Nature vs nurture
- Flat o of eatio eas the eioet does’t hage the pheotpe
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

You do(cid:374)"t p(cid:396)o(cid:448)e it t(cid:396)ue, (cid:455)ou get to a poi(cid:374)t (cid:449)he(cid:396)e (cid:455)ou have so much confidence (different researchers, different critical experiments) 4 ways: ns, genetic drift, mutation, migration (genetic flow) 3 conditions: heritability, variability, differential reproductive success. Artificial selection is natural selection but humans choose the differential reproduction success. Al(cid:449)a(cid:455)s (cid:449)o(cid:396)ks (cid:271)(cid:272) the(cid:396)e"s (cid:448)a(cid:396)iatio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d he(cid:396)ita(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) Need to have the 3 conditions satisfied. Ex: bred fruit flies to have super hairy (bristle) legs. Genetic drift: random change in allele frequencies. Ma(cid:454)i(cid:373)ize (cid:396)ep(cid:396)odu(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e su(cid:272)(cid:272)ess (cid:449)hile ha(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)g the(cid:373); (cid:862)(cid:272)ostl(cid:455) t(cid:396)aits(cid:863) Natural selection where female choose males based off of important traits: one sex choosing the differential reproductive success. All the possible phenotypes from a genotype if you could raise that genotype in all types of environments. Flat (cid:374)o(cid:396)(cid:373) of (cid:396)ea(cid:272)tio(cid:374) (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s the e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t does(cid:374)"t (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ge the phe(cid:374)ot(cid:455)pe: o(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:455)ou ha(cid:448)e these ge(cid:374)es, this is ho(cid:449) (cid:455)ou"ll look.