PSYCH 200 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Theoretical Definition, Unimodality, Face Validity

34 views4 pages
30 Jan 2014
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Midterm outline i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. Science: an organized body of knowledge that applies the scientific method. Hypothesis: tentative statement about a relationship of facts/events. Universal statement (fact): a statement that applies to every circumstance. Scientific laws (fact): a statement that applies to some proportion of circumstances. Developing theory: scientific method strives to develop a systematic body of theories: research design i. ii. iii. iv. v. Null hypothesis: statement of treatment had no affect above chance: gathering data for survey research i. Unformed opinions: weakly held opinions iii. iv. v. vi. Dichotomous: outcomes that can be divided into two categories. vii. viii. Ethno graph: participant observant: relationship & phenomena i. ii. iii. iv. Variables: independent or predictor ---- dependent or criterion/outcome. *correlation does not imply causation: representing data & levels of measurement i. Cross tabulation: single tab ---- cell: main diagonal: cluster of data moving in the same direction demonstrates positive association. iii.