PSIO 532 Study Guide - Final Guide: Neural Pathway, Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide, Bile Acid

27 views2 pages
2 Jul 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Graduate Physiology – GI Tract
Enzyme Regulation
Secretin’s receptors are found in the pancreas, which responds with additional bicarbonate
delivery: gastric motility and secretion are inhibited.
Cholecystokinin’s receptors are located:
• in the pancreas, which responds with additional enzyme delivery
• in the gallbladder, which contracts to deliver more bile
• in the sphincter of Oddi, which relaxes to facilitate delivery of the enzymes and bile salts
As the acid from stomach increases (the acid comes to the duodenum), this leads to the
increase of secretin secretion (from S cells)  this increases the levels of secretin in the plasma;
the secretin binds onto the receptors of the pancreas  this leads to the bicarbonate secretion
to neutralize the acid; the bicarbonate flows into the small intestine to neutralize the intestinal
acid
CCK secretion from the I cells occurs due to the increase of intestinal fatty acids and amino
acids (this is partially digested from the pepsin in the stomach)  this input acts on the adjacent
cells to the I cells, which first release CCK releasing peptide, which THEN causes the I cells to
release CCK; this increases the CCK plasma levels, which causes the pancreas to secrete
enzymes  these enzymes then flow into the small intestine, which ultimately leads to digestion
of fats and protein
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Secretin"s receptors are found in the pancreas, which responds with additional bicarbonate delivery: gastric motility and secretion are inhibited. Cholecystokinin"s receptors are located: in the pancreas, which responds with additional enzyme delivery, in the gallbladder, which contracts to deliver more bile, in the sphincter of oddi, which relaxes to facilitate delivery of the enzymes and bile salts. This image shows the several pathways mediating meal-stimulated pancreatic secretion that involve cck. First, meal nutrients such as fatty acids, amino acids and peptides delivered from the duodenum stimulate the release of cck from the cck- containing i cell to the area around the basolateral surface of the i cell. The cck released can activate vagal afferent neurons that carry the signal to the dorsal vagal complex where the sensory information is integrated and vagal efferents are activated. Vagal efferents synapse with neurons in the pancreatic ganglia.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers