CULTBLF 23 Study Guide - Final Guide: Mishnah, Easter, Pharisees

50 views8 pages
FUCK
Genesis 2:1-4 --- Built into the nature of the cosmos: at the creation God rested on the seventh
day.
Exodus 20:8-11 --- Therefore Israelites are to rest as well.
Exodus 31:12-17 --- The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations
to come as a lasting covenant.
Exodus 35:1-3 --- Sabbath is a "sign" between Israel and God.
Deuteronomy 5:12-15 --- Commands to observe the Sabbath and rest on the seventh day of the
week; you must also let your slaves rest, related to how Jews themselves were slaves to Egypt.
Isaiah 56:1-8 --- Observe the Sabbath and God will reward you, as will he reward foreigners who
believe in God and observe the Sabbath.
Isaiah 58:13-14 --- You must observe the Sabbath and it is holy; you must call it "delight".
Exodus 20:9 --- "Do not do any manner of work on the Sabbath day."
Exodus 16:21-30 --- Story of Jews gathering manna in the desert; God orders them to only
gather it for six days, and not on the seventh (Sabbath). However, some try but they do not find
any.
Jeremiah 17:19-25 --- Not to conduct business on Sabbath by carrying a burden
or removing a burden from one 's house.
Isaiah 58:13 --- "If on account of the Sabbath you turn back your foot from doing your own
desires on my holy day..."
Mishnah Shabbat 7:2 --- Gives 39 labor prohibitions on the Sabbath, of course, decided by the
Rabbis through Halahkah.
Exodus 34:21 --- For six days you shall work, on the seventh you shall rest;
whether in the plowing season or the harvest, you are to rest.
Mark 1:21-34 --- Jesus performs exorcisms/healing on the Sabbath.
Luke 14:1-16 --- Because he performed exorcisms/healing on the Sabbath, Jesus is opposed by
the Pharisees.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 8 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
John 5:1-18 --- Because he performed exorcisms/healing on the Sabbath, Jesus is opposed by
the "Jews".
Mark: 2:23-28 --- Story of how his disciples plucked grain in the grainfields on the Sabbath, and
the Pharisees complained, but Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, not the other
way around. "The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
Justin (Sabbath) --- Ancient worthies found favor in God's eyes without observing the Sabbath;
Sabbath like circumcision is a sign to mark out the Jews; given by Moses and reaffirmed by
Isaiah because of the hardness of heart; God wants a perpetual Sabbath; if God really wanted
observance of the Sabbath, he would not have had the temple function on that day, or have
allowed circumcisions to take place on
that day.
Barnabas (Sabbath) --- God never intended the Sabbath commandment to be taken literally; an
eschatological symbol of the perfect Sabbath that follows the six thousand years of this
world; the Eighth day is a prolongation of the seventh, and is also the day on which Christ was
resurrected.
Exodus 12-13 --- On the 14th of the first month in the evening is pesah; followed directly by
seven day matzah festival, from the 15th to the 21st; eaten by family units. Explains how Jews
are to observe Passover and celebrate the seven day matzah festival (for example, they must
eat unleavened bread and cannot have anything leavened in their house for the seven days).
Exodus 23:14-19/Exodus 34:18-26 --- Festival calendar, three pilgrimage festivals, seven
day matzah festival, no pesah mentioned.
Leviticus 23:4-8/Numbers 28:16-25 --- 14th day of the first month is the pesah, on the 15th day
and following is the seven-day matzah festival.
Deuteronomy 16:1-8 --- The pesah and the matzah festival are apparently one and the same: a
seven day festival; the pesah is offered on the first day, followed by six days of eating matzah,
for a total of seven; no specific date in the spring month; pesah is to be slaughtered and eaten
at the central shrine.
Mishnah Pesahim 10 --- Contains the basic outlines of a seder: four cups of wine, appetizers
(matzah, lettuce), instruction, meal, hymns of praise.
Matthew 26:2, 17-30 --- Thursday is 14 Nisan, day of last supper; Friday is
day of crucifixion 15 Nisan. The Last Supper is a paschal meal; not quite a seder. Bread is
followed by wine, which does not agree with the Mishnah.
Luke 22:14-20 --- Thursday is 14 Nisan, day of last supper; Friday is day of crucifixion 15 Nisan.
The Last Supper is a paschal meal; not quite a seder. Recline; wine; give thanks (in Greek
Unlock document

eucharistia); bread; give thanks; meal, presumably the Paschal sacrifice; wine. [but no bitter
herbs]
John 6:52-58 --- "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise
them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink."
John 13:1; 19:14, 31-37 --- Crucifixion is on Friday 14 Nisan; no last supper in John, ceremonial
or otherwise; no institution of Eucharist
John 1:29, 36 --- Jesus is the (Paschal) lamb of God.
Justin (Apology, on Pascha) --- Paschal lamb is the type of Christ, with whose blood believers
anoint themselves (and attain salvation); Justin even says that the paschal lamb on a spit has
the same
shape as a cross!
1 Corinthians 5:7 --- "Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast—as
you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed." Leaven = sin; unleavened
bread symbolizes spiritual cleansing.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26 --- "This is my body that is for a you. Do this in remembrance of me." In
the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my
blood.
1 Corinthians 15:3-8 --- Jesus appears in visions to believers after he dies.
Revelation 5:11-13 --- "Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered to receive power and wealth
and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!"
Mark 16 --- Features three women (Mary Magadalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome)
who met an angel (a young man dressed in white) in the empty tomb.
Genesis 1 --- Is anyone or anything else present when God creates the world? Does anyone or
anything assist God in creation (note the mysterious plural in 1:26)? Are angels mentioned?
Genesis 18:1-19:1 --- Speaks of the angels of God, specifically here in relation to a story about
Adam. What are these angels?
Exodus 25:8 --- "Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them." (God
himself rests in the central sanctuary)
Exodus 20:21, Deuteronomy 12:11 --- States that the "Name of God" rests in the central
sanctuary.
Unlock document