EECS 1520 Study Guide - Comprehensive Midterm Guide: Dispatch Table, Hard Disk Drive, Megabit

939 views21 pages
mahika.c06 and 40040 others unlocked
EECS 1520 Full Course Notes
EECS 1520 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
54 documents

Document Summary

Hardware: solid, visible part of computing: devices and equipment that you can see and put your hands on. The history of computing devices is interesting, but i will only mention a little of it here. Computing machinery has a long history, though most early computational devices were specialized, often for predicting astronomical events and positions. Primary memory (ram), secondary memory (disk), cd/dvd, other devices. Ram = random access memory, stores information that is in active use by the processor and other parts of the computer. Gordon moore, co-founder and ceo of intel published a short article (cid:862)cra(cid:373)(cid:373)i(cid:374)g (cid:373)ore co(cid:373)po(cid:374)e(cid:374)ts o(cid:374)to i(cid:374)tegrated circuits(cid:863) He observed that as technology improved, the number of devices (transistors, basically) that could be manufactured on an integrated circuit of a particular size was doubling approximately every year, a date he later revised to every 2 years. Binary grid: (on a test there will only be binary) *slides for representing numbers (ignore details side 60 onwards)