IDS-2443 Study Guide - Winter 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Winnipeg, Western Culture, Victim Blaming

137 views15 pages
IDS-2443
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 15 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Indigenous Peoples, Cultures
*** Context is everything
Known
Unknown
Archeological evidence of history of first peoples
To taes, fee shool, fee healthae… eethig!
Coloialis otios of assiilatio… Idia At,
arguments of cultural genocide)
Idetit… hat akes a peso idigeous?
Rais… iteal ad eteal
Non-indigenous: how do you become racist?
Copliit… hoosig to e ioled
Negatie hetoi… sstei aies
Governance and community hierarchy
Child and Family Services
Justice
Healthcare: apprehending children
Policing
Justice
Substance abuse
Policing
Public education: residential schools
Public education: residential schools
Reote ouities… aessiilit
60s scoop
Lasting trauma
On reserve education
Suicide and mental health
Suicide and mental health
Reoiliatio… used uikl, as if a poit i tie
Climate Change
Climate change and traditional knowledge
Die to assiilate: atig to e the idigeous people… oetie o oe ould eee that
aoe as thee… theefoe the ould hae all the ights to the lad
Capitalis ad Religio ee diig foes to lead settles to assiilate… jo ad dut, doing a
favour
Task: design or list the values of your own knowledge systems-where does knowledge come from? How
have you come to know what you know?
Knowledge
Hoeshooled… fo o/fieds
University educated parents
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Expectation for school
*Use first person for reflections… talk aout ho ou feel ad hat ou thik, poess ad elate
*Capitalize "Indigenous"
*Nee "othe"… ie. The Idigeous people ae… as if the'e sepaate
Ca sa: Idigeous ultue… et., o "the"
Largely othered by anthropologists
*Reflexivity: hallegig ou ias, piilege, old ie… allos ou to eaie ouself
Piilege does’t ake ou iheetl good o ad
News: 14 suicides in Alberta Indigenous community in 2 months
How does hearing about this effect you? Have you experienced it?
How would this change if it was a non-Indigenous community?
We are the source of political will, can't keep waiting for politics to do the right thing
Tax free: only if you live/have an address on reserve and work for an Indigenous entity
Culture continuity (continuation of practice of culture) as a tool to fight suicide.
Religion as oppression in Canada effected this
Culture resurgence as working to heal
o Spiit aes, I see ou… histoiall had to hide culture
o Naming huge for identity
We do’t hae to opae situatios, teile is teile.
Video: René Brown Empathy
Empathy vs. sympathy
Sympathy is "at least", trying to make things better
Empathy is connection, I'm so sorry that this happened
INDIGENOUS PEOPLE
"Practicing unique traditions, they retain social, cultural, economic and political characteristics that are
distinct from those of the dominant societies in which they live. Spread across the world from the Arctic
to the South Pacific, they are the descendants- according to a common definition- of those who
inhabited areas when people of different ethnic origins arrived"
Alfred and Corntassel (2005) argued that "Aboriginal" is "a powerful assault on Indigenous
idetities"… deied  the state so alloed the state to otol ho ad ho is Idigeous
Important Terms
Stereotypes- often offensive generalization of a person
Racism- the superiority of a race, often biologically based (goal is assimilation)
Ethnocentrism- judging a culture based on your own culture and cultural ideals
Pan-Indian Approach- not recognizing diversity in culture
Defining vs. Identifying
Unlock document

Document Summary

Archeological evidence of history of first peoples to ta(cid:454)es, f(cid:396)ee s(cid:272)hool, f(cid:396)ee health(cid:272)a(cid:396)e e(cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:455)thi(cid:374)g! Colo(cid:374)ialis(cid:373) (cid:894)(cid:374)otio(cid:374)s of assi(cid:373)ilatio(cid:374) i(cid:374)dia(cid:374) a(cid:272)t, arguments of cultural genocide) Re(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)iliatio(cid:374) used (cid:395)ui(cid:272)kl(cid:455), as if a poi(cid:374)t i(cid:374) ti(cid:373)e. Knowledge: ho(cid:373)es(cid:272)hooled f(cid:396)o(cid:373) (cid:373)o(cid:373)/f(cid:396)ie(cid:374)ds, university educated parents, expectation for school. *use first person for reflections talk a(cid:271)out ho(cid:449) (cid:455)ou feel a(cid:374)d (cid:449)hat (cid:455)ou thi(cid:374)k, p(cid:396)o(cid:272)ess a(cid:374)d (cid:396)elate. *ne(cid:448)e(cid:396) "othe(cid:396)" ie. the i(cid:374)dige(cid:374)ous people a(cid:396)e (cid:894)as if the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e sepa(cid:396)ate(cid:895: ca(cid:374) sa(cid:455): i(cid:374)dige(cid:374)ous (cid:272)ultu(cid:396)e et(cid:272). , (cid:374)o "the(cid:373)" *reflexivity: (cid:272)halle(cid:374)gi(cid:374)g (cid:455)ou(cid:396) (cid:271)ias, p(cid:396)i(cid:448)ilege, (cid:449)o(cid:396)ld (cid:448)ie(cid:449) allo(cid:449)s (cid:455)ou to e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)e (cid:455)ou(cid:396)self: p(cid:396)i(cid:448)ilege does(cid:374)"t (cid:373)ake (cid:455)ou i(cid:374)he(cid:396)e(cid:374)tl(cid:455) good o(cid:396) (cid:271)ad. Have you experienced it: how would this change if it was a non-indigenous community, we are the source of political will, can"t keep waiting for politics to do the right thing. Tax free: only if you live/have an address on reserve and work for an indigenous entity. We do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e to (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:396)e situatio(cid:374)s, te(cid:396)(cid:396)i(cid:271)le is te(cid:396)(cid:396)i(cid:271)le.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers