POLI 100 Study Guide - Final Guide: On Liberty, Class Conflict, Antoine Destutt De Tracy

102 views27 pages
6 Dec 2017
School
Course

Document Summary

Polis: word for city-state in ancient greek, politics was revolved around cities, saw politics as a branch of ethics. The good of the people is paramount. Revealed in cave analogy": argued that democracy basically amounted to mob rule and was an aberrant form of government. Idea of women as fortuna control her chaotic force. If you control too much create hatred. Maintain fear and respect: similarities between plato and machiavelli. Politics is an art or craft (not science) Politics is elitist (anti-democratic: differences between plato and machiavelli. Politics is a branch of ethics and concerned with serving the public good (plato) Politics is about power and requires dirty hands" (machiavelli) I think therefore i am": begins with i" the individual is central to modern thinking. Think" reason is the key to truth or knowledge (over faith or revelation) Therefore, i am" deep skepticism over knowledge not even existence is taken for granted but must be deduced: general tenets of modernity.