[PSYC 3030] - Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam (136 pages long!)

182 views136 pages

Document Summary

Psychopharmacology emphasizes drug-induced changes in mood, thinking, and behaviour. Neuropharmacology is concerned with drug-induced changes in the functioning of cells in the nervous system. Neuropsychopharmacology (psychopharmacology + neuropharmacology) is to identify chemical substances that cat upon the nervous system to alter behaviour. Of all users of illicit drugs (8. 3% of population), only 15-17% show signs of drug dependence of addiction. A maladaptive pattern of substance abuse leading to clinically significant impairment, as manifested by one (+) of the following in 12 months: Recurrent substance use, that results in failure to fufilll major role obligations (i. e. at work, school etc. ) Recurrent substance use in situations where it is physically hazardous (i. e. driving while impaired) Recurrent substance related legal problems (i. e. arrests for substance-related disorderly conduct) Continued substance use despite having persistent/recurrent social problems caused by the effects of the substance (i. e. fights with spouse over intoxication). Drug dependence is chronic relapse disorder, as well as maladaptive.