GEOG 3020 Study Guide - Final Guide: Endocrine Disruptor, Official Development Assistance, Knowledge Management

385 views44 pages

Document Summary

Global environmental change (gec): the set of biophysical transformations of land, oceans, and atmosphere. Natural processes (movement of tectonic plates, volcanic eruptions, tornadoes) Human activities (deforestation, burning of fossil fuels) Anthropogenic climate change: driven by increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Systematic gec"s: those that impact systems that span much of or the entire planet i. e. the oceans or the atmosphere. Cumulative gec"s: arise from local events or change i. e. deforestation in russia won"t affect canada. Technology i. e. development of fossil fuel technologies. Sociocultural factors- economic, political, social values, governing structures i. e. the laws that govern the use of resources. Ignorance i. e. a lack of understanding of how environmental systems operate, not knowing how our individual actions affect the world. Ownership of resources i. e. tragedy of the commons. Valuation- without an economic value on clean water or biodiversity, it is easy to exploit it. We must lower human population levels to avoid stressing our life support (ecological) systems.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers