INT 904 Study Guide - Final Guide: Minority Stress, Assertive Community Treatment

65 views2 pages
Module 8: The Community Notes
Suggest other examples of how you as an individual, or as a professional working in your field, can
help to reduce health inequalities in your community?
Nurses are in a prominent position to create health care environments that will meet the needs of
marginalized groups. For one, there is very little content on specific care needs of LGBT individuals in
nursing literature, which brings challenges to providing culturally competent care. A community health
nurse can provide a health outreach to the LGBT community and work with high-risk groups to help
reduce HIV infection. An outreach can promote equality and quality of life for these individuals as it
challenges social attitudes and barriers. This is important issue that must be addressed as LGBT people
face high rates of depression and suicide. Also, low numbers of individuals from the LGBT community
seek preventive care which can lead to several health issues. Visit: https://www.healthline.com/health-
news/lgbt-community-faces-serious-health-problems to view more information on this topic.
As a nurse, I would also provide an assertive outreach to patients with mental health needs.
During my placement with Mount Sinai Hospital at a Inpatient Psychiatry Unit, I got the opportunity to
work with the Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) Team. They provided intensive treatment and
services for individuals living with mental illnesses in the community. While working with them, I
learned how much of a difference nurses can create by just visiting these individuals and speaking to them
about the issues they are experiencing. Many individuals are reluctant to seek health care because of the
stigma they experience. However, this assertive outreach is one step towards reducing that obstacle that
creates health inequalities.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Nurses are in a prominent position to create health care environments that will meet the needs of marginalized groups. For one, there is very little content on specific care needs of lgbt individuals in nursing literature, which brings challenges to providing culturally competent care. A community health nurse can provide a health outreach to the lgbt community and work with high-risk groups to help reduce hiv infection. An outreach can promote equality and quality of life for these individuals as it challenges social attitudes and barriers. This is important issue that must be addressed as lgbt people face high rates of depression and suicide. Also, low numbers of individuals from the lgbt community seek preventive care which can lead to several health issues. Visit: https://www. healthline. com/health- news/lgbt-community-faces-serious-health-problems to view more information on this topic. As a nurse, i would also provide an assertive outreach to patients with mental health needs.