INT 904 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Global Issue

31 views2 pages
Week 7- CED Part 2 Notes
With 49% of Canadians stating they are one to two paychecks away from poverty, discuss
the benefit of including community economic development strategies towards this issue.
49% of Canadians stating they are a few paychecks away from poverty is quite
astonishing. When I first read this statistic, I was surprised that serious measures are not being
implemented to resolve this issue. Needless to say, I think there would be great benefits if
community economic development (CED) strategies were implemented more strategically. The
benefits of CED strategies can be seen when there are aids like food stamps/banks available so
one is not required to entirely pay for their own meals.
In today's economic climate, newcomers face challenges integrating into the Canadian
labour market. How will CED efforts aid this group?
Regardless of all the aid provided by any organization, newcomers will always find it
difficult to adapt to any new market. However, it is the goal of organizations like the CED to
facilitate this transition. For instance, the CED can conduct a local community labour market
assessment in which they would be reveal employment areas. Furthermore, the organization can
also train the newcomers to develop skills that will aid them in the future. I feel that there can
never be enough help and it is our responsibility as citizens to help organizations, help the
newcomers.
When viewed in comparison to affordable housing or local food production, how important are
climate change initiatives to the health of a community?
As regular citizens, we feel that our primary problems are our day to day issues, which often
entail affordable housing and our local food production. We often fail to recognize a global issue which is
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

With 49% of canadians stating they are one to two paychecks away from poverty, discuss the benefit of including community economic development strategies towards this issue. 49% of canadians stating they are a few paychecks away from poverty is quite astonishing. When i first read this statistic, i was surprised that serious measures are not being implemented to resolve this issue. Needless to say, i think there would be great benefits if community economic development (ced) strategies were implemented more strategically. The benefits of ced strategies can be seen when there are aids like food stamps/banks available so one is not required to entirely pay for their own meals. In today"s economic climate, newcomers face challenges integrating into the canadian labour market. Regardless of all the aid provided by any organization, newcomers will always find it difficult to adapt to any new market. However, it is the goal of organizations like the ced to facilitate this transition.