GPHY 227 Study Guide - Final Guide: Social Exclusion, Deindustrialization, Fordism

30 views2 pages

Document Summary

Homelessness cannot be evaluated primarily as a result of individual failings. Homelessness points to large scale structural issues of poverty, lack of affordable housing, mental health provision and adequate work. Social exclusion the process of stigmatizing and marginalizing certain groups and identities in society (i. e. race, health, national status, class, sexuality, homeless etc. economic, social and culture dimensions. Marking people as dirty dangerous outsiders results in exclusionary practices over time and space. Homeless contend with exclusion personally, how they experience their bodies i. e. urinating (on the street or in a bathroom) Survival itself is criminalized capitalist cities want to cleanse themselves of the homeless for the prospect of new investments. Idea that what you buy, makes you who you are = problematic. Shopping ties people to systems of inequality and oppression (i. e. sweat shops) The exclusion of youth from consumption spaces is a racialized process o blacks more policed than whites.