BIO 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Dna Polymerase Iii Holoenzyme, Dna Polymerase Ii, Dna Polymerase I

29 views6 pages
12 Jan 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

No t(cid:449)o i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals of the sa(cid:373)e spe(cid:272)ies (cid:449)ill ha(cid:448)e ide(cid:374)ti(cid:272)al dna. In addition to 23 sets of chromosomes, humans have a mitochondrial genome that is inherited solely from the mother. This mitochondrial genome can be involved in the inheritance of genetic disorders. Friedrich miescher was the first person to isolate rna and dna. He heat-killed the s strain, which had no effect on the mice. When the 2 strains were mixed (r strain and heat-killed s strain), the mice died, and only the s strain was recovered. Oswald avery, colin macleod, and maclyn mccarty determined that dna was responsible for transformation by systematically eliminating all other components (i. e. using an enzyme to destroy a single component and testing whether transformation could still occur). Erwin chargaff examined the percentages of adenine, thymine, guanine, and cytosine in genomes. Individuals have the same species had similar percentages, whereas individuals of different species had different percentages: cha(cid:396)gaff"s rules: a=t a(cid:374)d c=g.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers