01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Proximate And Ultimate Causation, Fixed Action Pattern, Behavioral Ecology

151 views6 pages

Document Summary

I. understanding behavior: behavioral ecology: study of the ecological and evolutionary basis for animal behavior, behavior is, 1. Action carried out by muscles under control of nervous system: 2. Product of natural selection on phenotype: 4. Why a behavior occurs in the context of natural selection, How do stimuli impact behavior: sensory input= stimulus that triggers behavior, proximate reason for behavior. Ultimate= evolutionary cause (evolutionary: ultimate causation i. behavior can be inherited from ancestors, fixed action pattern, migration, behavioral rhythms, communications you are born that way) Unlearned behavior in response to a sign stimulus. Unchangeable genetically controlled (pre programmed to do so), innate (means that. Once initiated several steps carried to completion. position of sun or circadian clock (24 hour clock) i. north star ii. earth"s magnetic field (birds use this when migrating) iii. genetics. resources! (organisms migrate because of the lack of food or different mating times, and etc. : behavioral rhythms. Many behaviors occur at regular intervals linked to light and dark circles.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers