POL 271 Lecture 37: 11/30/16 World War I

33 views2 pages

Document Summary

Themes: effects of revisionism on the international arena. Before world war i, there were several great powers: great britain, france, germany, russia and the austro-hungarian empire. Great britain had the largest empire and dominated international commerce (status quo). The austro-hungarian empire was the weakest of the great powers and knew change would topple their empire (status quo). France lost alsace and lorraine to the germans in 1871 which made them territorial revisionist (revisionist). Germany wanted a more prominent status in europe because they had the best army, largest economy, and didn"t receive a lot of respect (revisionist). Russia under the tsars wanted to perpetuate pan-slavism throughout europe which brought them into conflict with the austro-hungarian empire, germany and the ottoman. Empire because they contained large slavic minorities (revisionist). International alliances were a major cause for world war i. Alliance: a formal arrangement between two or more countries pledging to assist each other with national security.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers