THEO 107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Gender Studies

52 views2 pages
26 Jan 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The history of religion - mccutcheon class discussion, relationship between believer and deity, way of organizing the world, what i should do, belief in a higher power, livelihood, beliefs, behaviors, practices f. g. tool/means of social organization. Importance religion and power: map of the field of religious studies, anthropology of religion i. ii. Ex. heaven, hell, stories how these influence behaviors: sociology of religion i. Identity: who"s in, who"s out, who is the leadership, hierarchy, how does the group understand itself ii. Interested in power who has power within the group to define what should be: psychology of religion i. ii. iii. Religion is a social product therefore susceptible to change. Genealogy, religion that we know today where does it come from? iii. iv: comparative studies i. Compare specific categories across cultures: ex. rituals, stories, etc. , evaluative methods, philosophy of religion i. ii. iii. Make rational/intellectually consistent with other studies (i. e. math, science)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers