GEO 330 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Conservation Biology, Resource Productivity, Ecosystem Services

32 views4 pages
25 May 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

For conservation through management intervention: v- protected landscape/seascape e. i. For conservation and recreation: vi- managed resource protected areas f. i. Environmental: benefits of protected areas, biodiversity and environmental services a. i. Ecosystem services: services functioning ecosystems provide for people a. ii. Services include clean water, food, building materials, buffers for storms, pollination, reduction of diseases: extension of benefits, environmental services often ignored, government and civil society d. i. Spatial policies and provide alternatives for poor people: hotspots e. i. Areas that have high levels of rare or extinct species. Issues and case studies: supplying fresh water a. i. Pollution in fresh water rivers is 15x higher than in marine environments a. iii. Los negros watershed near amboro national park a. iv. Land without water is worth about and land with water is worth. People in the downstream communities paid for water with beehives b. Landscape restoration efforts to restore land outside of protected areas took the pressure off protected areas to support local uses b. i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers