PSYCH218 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Legal Death, Clinical Death, Putrefaction

22 views3 pages

Document Summary

Classif(cid:455)i(cid:374)g (cid:862)f(cid:396)ee asso(cid:272)iatio(cid:374)s(cid:863: what comes to mind when you think of death and dying, death symbols. Unconventional symbols individualistic, i. e. , casseroles, grizzly bear: dying pain/suffering, medical, mostly negative emotions. Problem 1) something that is dead vs. non-living (i. e. , rocks) 2) mostly dead not the same as being dead (i. e, cardiac arrest and recessitation), 3) cells are still alive up to 72 hours after legal death. The, (cid:862)the i(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:448)e(cid:396)si(cid:271)le, pe(cid:396)(cid:373)a(cid:374)e(cid:374)t (cid:272)essatio(cid:374) of life(cid:863) General principles: life feeds off life. Closed system, for something to live, something has to die i. e. , killing an animal/plant for human to eat, infection/parasite, life of one organism has to end in order for another organism to live: death presupposes life. When organism dies, form begins to break down. No longer identifiable as the organism it once was i. e. , cremation just ash if organism is alive, must maintain form, when it dies, it loses its ability to maintain its form.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers