SOCI 395 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: John Stuart Mill, The Communist Manifesto, Scientific Progress

16 views5 pages
SOCI 495
January 15, 2018
Science and Technology
The Emergence of Modern Science
• Is a product of the Age of Enlightenment (Rousseau, Smith, John Stuart Mill, Hobbes) what
all of these thinkers have in common is the ability for people to think rationally, understand the
world and improve the world
• Out of these piiples hae hat people refer to as the Modern Project and the Scientific
Revolution (18th Century)
• “ietifi pogess is a a to ake the old a ette plae ad to ake people happie –
through scientific investigation, you can show people how to control and understand first nature
and cultivate it to our needs and make a better world, and later on, society (this is the ground
for social sciences)
• “tatig i the th century around 1750, a lot of innovations that seem to support this hope
that we can control nature and get a better world
• Tehologial adaeet à The telesope, huge edial ipoeets, eletiit ad
electrical appliances, running water, and many huge advances in physics (principle of gravity,
astronomy, biological, evolution, chemistry)
• Thoughout the etuies, tehologial adaes that poide hope
• Idustial eolutio piail i the Weste old, ieasig daatiall the leel of
production, private property and creating more rich people and improving the standard of living
• Politial tasfoatio à Aeia eolutio, Bill of Rights, Feh Reolutio, lead outies
into significant changes and growth of democracy, human/civil rights, and all of these give
people hope, improving the world and leading people to a better place
Social Sciences
•This is hee soial siees oe ito pla à th century
• Psholog, soiolog, politial siee, ode eoois stat to go
• Muh like atual siees, soial siees stat at the age of Elighteet, e a use
science to improve the human condition
• The foudig sholas of the soial siees eogize that people ae’t alas atioal, ad
they understand that people are motivated by fear, habits, limitation, unconscious
passions/drives à Common theme for these scholars was that they believe that the solution for
these problems and rational behaviours lies within the social sciences, recognize that people
have problems and believe that we can solve through developing social sciences
• Theapists, eooists advising governments, model of social engineering
• Belief i soial egieeig à the sholas shae this appoah
- Durkheim à science is the main way for humans to progress and improve, social scientists are
the new priests and will guide others towards the right way and remove barriers for progress
- Marx à at first glance, revolution comes from the proletariat, but Marx does believe in the
rationality of people and the ability to reach their potential (perfectibility of man). But progress
and science are important and positive, but they are being held back by Bourgeoisie and
capitalism. Social science has an important role, to identify the problem and show people to
barrier to development, division of society into classes, the solution is within the social scientists
to show us the way (The communist manifesto). If we shed our false consciousness we can
march towards a better world .
- Comte à social scientists are the highest level of science, sociologists will lead to full potential
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
SOCI 495
- Weber à Sciee ad pogess leads to disehatet. Does’t thik that the ouse of
history is deterministic, nothing promises that social science will make society better. Skeptical
aout teholog, atioalit, the io age. Does’t see it as a solutio, ut eliees that it’s
important as a goal in itself. Important for us to gather data and to analyze it, if not to make a
better society.
Science and Technology in the 20th Century
• Adaes ad ipoeets à health, tael, eooi goth, elfae sstems, electronic
appliances, computers, the internet
• Teholog has ought poles ad halleges, it’s ot a utopia
World War I
• Wa that eds uh of the optiis, suge i siee ae ith a lot of optiis to ake a
better world, and this shakes this opinion
• All tehologial adaeet up to that tie ad the ealth auulated i Euope ee
used to support the worst war up to date
• Ceated the Geat Depessio à politis ad the siee of eoois has a poles, the
industrial revolution and new technologies did not help to prevent the depression, just has all of
the economic advancements did not prevent the depression in 2008.
• Nulea eapos à e a desto ouseles ad plaet due to tehologial adaeets,
with the push of a button
• Theefoe, sietifi adaeet is ot alas soethig that is eefiial, e o hae the
potential to destroy the planet and humanity
• The Holoaust à pseudosietifi aial theoies justifiatios fo aial supeioit ee used
for terminating whole peoples, justify experiments on people, the use of the newest technology
in the most developed bureaucracies and used to exterminate more people efficiently
Eugenics
• Nazis ee ot the fist to eliee i egieeig hua soieties
• Pealet ad ell-taken in North America, many people support eugenics as the
improvement of the human race
• Negatie “eletio à peetig ufit people fo epoduig though astatio ad
sterilization
• Positie “eletio à eouagig fit people to reproduce more
• This ill e a good solutio fo a of the olds poles
• It as patied i the U“, Caada ad EU à thousads ee steilized iludig iigats,
criminals, prostitutes, mentally ill
• We a thak the Nazis fo taking to the extreme and people became disenchanted with the
idea of eugenics
• Idea is outdated ut e tehologial adaeets allos us to thik aout eugeis
Movie Gattaca
• Ca this eall happe? Is it alead happeig?
• It’s alead here to some extent and it will be more sophisticated, being able to choose and
modify embryos based on genomes
• Ca e justif it? Ca e defed the ight of people to hoose the kid of hilde the ill
have? Liberal eugenics.
• Health isuaes ad increasing premiums based on the chance you will get sick
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Durkheim science is the main way for humans to progress and improve, social scientists are the new priests and will guide others towards the right way and remove barriers for progress. Marx at first glance, revolution comes from the proletariat, but marx does believe in the rationality of people and the ability to reach their potential (perfectibility of man). But progress and science are important and positive, but they are being held back by bourgeoisie and capitalism. Social science has an important role, to identify the problem and show people to barrier to development, division of society into classes, the solution is within the social scientists to show us the way (the communist manifesto). If we shed our false consciousness we can march towards a better world . Comte social scientists are the highest level of science, sociologists will lead to full potential.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers