PSYC 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Psych, Behaviorism, Cognitive Model

106 views4 pages
Verified Note

Document Summary

Psyc100 lecture 4: structuralism vs functionalism: S: analyse consciousness into basic elements and investigate how they"re related (what) F: investigate function rather than breaking down to elements (how) S: worked in labs, f: more outside the lab: behaviourism: John b watson"s theory focused on why . Purely objective natural science, therefore focuses more on sciences than philosophy. Theoretical goal is the prediction and control behaviour. Underlying philosophy: if i understand something fully, then i have full control over it. Our goal is to control the nature (calvinistic view) which is based on fear (best way to survive is to control the environment) Most psychologists are in favour of this view currently. Introspection nor consciousness are topics of psychology (which means both structuralism and functionalism are futile) Point is to understand logic of behaviour rather than consciousness, therefore no differentiation in species i. e rat and human are same. Give up these bizarre methods (those independent of the observer)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers