NEUR3101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Voltage Clamp, Hydraulic Circuit, Current Clamp

43 views8 pages
12 Jan 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Note: look at learning objectives to know what we need to know for the exam. Understand the importance of conductance" and know how to calculate it using ohm"s law for neurophysiologists". Understand the difference between voltage clamp" & current clamp" as a way of finding membrane conductance. Understand the two basic properties of ion channels permeation & gating and why they are important. Know some of the basic structural features of ion channels. Have an understanding of how permeation and gating are implemented at the protein level. Easier to think in terms of electrical circuits (but its really flow of ions rather than electron flow) Voltage/pressure is lost as current flows through the resistance. I = 1/r x v or i = g v. G is conductance a/v measured in siemens s, also called mho. Conductance = ease of passage of current ("permeability") Ohm"s law says: for a fixed v" (potential), bigger g" means bigger i".

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers