HOD-1250 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: George Herbert Mead, Jean Piaget, American Psychologist

29 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chap three: the self development and issues of culture, gender, ethnicity & age. Self: consists of all the knowledge, feelings, and attitudes we have about our own unique, functioning individuals. Phenomenal self: our subjective experience of our own existence. 19th century american psychologist, wrote principles of psychology. I-self/phenomenal self: active observer of experience, subjective (knower: builds and constructs me-self through perceiving, interpreting and evaluating info. Me-self/self-concept: the observed, what is known about the self (known) Behaviorism: influential in 20th century, founded by john watson, emphasized controlled laboratory experiments. Phenomenologist -- think subjective perception important: linked with carl rodger"s self theory/humanistic. Bandura combination of all theories social learning theorist. Charles cooley: looking glass self: the idea that our sense of self is largely derived from our evolution of social feedback from others. We are what other people think we are. George herbert mead: generalized other: the extension of the role of social input in the formation of self.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers