HDF 304 Chapter Notes - Chapter Q23: Time Point

51 views3 pages
Science of Relationships:
Chapter 6: The Dark Side of Relationships:
Q23: Why Do People Stay in Abusive or Bad Relationship?
In an ideal world, once people find a relationship, they would live out the Hollywood version of
life.
Costatl ikeig ad fidig that ou elatioship just is’t that ie to e i aoe o
constantly being monitored by your partner who wants you to justify all your Facebook friends
are signs of a bad relationship but things can get worse.
Abusive relationships involve physical abuse such as punching, hitting, kicking, slapping or
verbal abuse such as insulting or otherwise emotionally tormenting a partner.
Men and women behave badly at times and it can spell disaster for any relationship and can be
dageous fo the iti’s ell-being.
Even if such bad behavior is enough to make you want to end a relationship, those thoughts
do’t alas lead to atio.
The economics of relationships:
Part of economics involves comparing alternatives.
o Deciding whether to stay in a relationship or leaves, is a little like deciding
between an iPad and a new LCD TV.
People weigh what they think would happen if they left their partners against what they
think would happen If they stayed, and they tend to go with the better of the two
projected outcomes.
o Alternatives to the current relationship can range from dating someone else or
starvation.
This can be seen in research that asked people directly to think about the alternatives in
their relationships by asking them how much they agreed to statements.
o The less likely undergraduates in relationships agreed with statements, the less
likely they were to have broken up with their partner a few months later.
the economics of relationships are so powerful that they can even predict whether
people return to abusive relationships.
Women who had left their partner and gone to a shelter and had little education and no
income of their own were more likely to return to their partner than those women who
had more education and an income of their own.
“o the fee optios people hae i tes of elatioships, ho happ the’d e o
their own, and how much money they have, the more likely they are to stay in a bad
relationship.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In an ideal world, once people find a relationship, they would live out the hollywood version of life. Abusive relationships involve physical abuse such as punching, hitting, kicking, slapping or verbal abuse such as insulting or otherwise emotionally tormenting a partner. Men and women behave badly at times and it can spell disaster for any relationship and can be da(cid:374)ge(cid:396)ous fo(cid:396) the (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373)"s (cid:449)ell-being. Even if such bad behavior is enough to make you want to end a relationship, those thoughts do(cid:374)"t al(cid:449)a(cid:455)s lead to a(cid:272)tio(cid:374). If people sta(cid:455) despite the (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ship (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g (cid:374)ot so g(cid:396)eat (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause the(cid:455) just do(cid:374)"t see a(cid:374)(cid:455) alternative to their partner, they actually behave differently toward their partner. People sta(cid:455) i(cid:374) (cid:271)ad (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ships (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause of e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272)s: the(cid:455) feel the(cid:455) ha(cid:448)e to, the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e (cid:374)ot focusing on the right stuff, or they make themselves feel good by thinking things are better today than yesterday.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers