CHEM 1070 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Intermolecular Force, Dynamic Equilibrium, Vaporization

31 views2 pages

Document Summary

Intermolecular forces: attractive forces that exist between molecules. Definite volume; liquids are not easily compressed. Indefinite shape; liquids assume the shape of their container. Definite shape; solids do not assume the shape of their container. Definite volume; solids are not easily compressed. May be crystalline (ordered) or amorphous (disordered) Surface tension: the tendency of li(cid:395)uids to (cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:373)ize thei(cid:396) su(cid:396)face a(cid:396)ea, (cid:396)esulti(cid:374)g i(cid:374) a (cid:862)ski(cid:374)(cid:863) o(cid:374) the surface of the liquid. Viscosity: the resistance of a liquid to flow; manifestation of intermolecular forces. Evaporation: a process in which molecules of a liquid, undergoing constant random motion, acquire enough energy to overcome attractions to neighbors and enter the gas phase. Vaporization: the phase transition between a liquid and a gas. Nonvolatile: describe a compound that does not vaporize easily. Condensation: a physical change in which a substance is converted from its gaseous form to its liquid form.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers