CHLH 243 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Transdermal Patch, Intravenous Therapy, Methamphetamine

28 views6 pages

Document Summary

How drugs work in the body and on the mind. Intravenous (i. v. ) injection: directly into the vein: heroin, fastest. Intramuscular (i. m. ) injection: drug is delivered into a large muscle and is absorbed into the bloodstream through the capillaries serving the muscle: slower than i. v. injections. Intranasal: applied to the mucous membranes of the nose (snorting) Sublingually: applied under the tongue: transdermal patch: a device attached to the skin that slowly delivers the drug through skin absorption. 3. 3 factors determining the behavioral impact of drugs. Latency period: an interval of time during which the blood levels of a drug are not yet sufficient for a drug effect to be observed. Some variations in drug effects may be related to an interaction between the drug itself and specific characteristics of a person taking the drug: weight. 3. 4. 3 the central nervous system: neurons: the specialized cell in the nervous system designed to receive and transmit information.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers