HIST 1378 Chapter Notes - Chapter 16: Plains Indians, Homestead Acts, Overgrazing

62 views4 pages

Document Summary

Whi(cid:272)h of the follo(cid:449)i(cid:374)g (cid:449)as a(cid:374) effe(cid:272)t of the federal go(cid:448)er(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t"s poli(cid:272)y of pla(cid:272)i(cid:374)g. Lack of price controls, high interest rates, and inflated rail costs. Western agricultural life was defined by water shortages. As more and more english-speaking immigrants entered california, many hispanics found themselves living in barrios in los angeles. Nineteenth-century novels idealized the cowboy as a uniquely american hero. States were inspired to supported construction of subsidiary lines. Most laundry jobs did not require extensive english skills and laundries did not require much start-up money. Some went to strike to combat low pay and terrible conditions. Some tribes of plains indians lived a sedentary life as farmers, but others subsisted on hunting buffalo, (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h pro(cid:448)ided the e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) (cid:271)asis for plai(cid:374) i(cid:374)dia(cid:374)s" (cid:449)ay of life. Initially, indian resistance to white expansion took the form of small-scale raids. White became jealous of the chinese who prospered, especially in the gold mines.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers