CHM 2210 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Photon, Methyl Group, Steric Effects

30 views14 pages

Document Summary

Structures with the same formula but differ in the location of each atom i. ii. To determine the number of structural isomers, start with the longest continuous chain of carbons. After drawing the longest chain, draw a carbon chain of one less carbon and systematically deduce all of the possible isomers b. Constitutional isomers, aka structural isomers, have different bonding i. Most easily recognized by difference in iupac names c. Stereoisomers have the exact same bonds but differ in the spatial arrangement i. Can be configurational (which cannot be converted without breaking a bond) and conformational (which can be converted by rotation without breaking a bond) Configurational isomers can be geometrical isomers (vary about a bond), optical isomers (rotate light a different way) enantiomers (nonsuperimposable mirror images), and disateremoers (nonsuperimposable and non mirror images) a) Configurational isomers are most easily distinguished by iupac prefix i) ii) E or z if isomers differ about a bond (cis and trans) d. e.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers