HIUS 113 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: De Jure, Mexican Americans, De Facto

106 views5 pages
13 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Ha(cid:374)so(cid:374): legall(cid:455) white, o(cid:272)iall(cid:455) (cid:862)me(cid:454)i(cid:272)a(cid:374)(cid:863): the politi(cid:272)s of de ju(cid:396)e and de facto school segregation in the american southwest. Americans, it was a widespread trend in the southwest: policies and practices historically implemented by school officials and boards of education should retroactively be considered de jure segregation. De jure segregation: law that required racial segregation in schools: whites(cid:859) desi(cid:396)e to i(cid:374)te(cid:374)tio(cid:374)all(cid:455) sepa(cid:396)ate stude(cid:374)ts (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) (cid:396)a(cid:272)e. After brown v. board of education (1954), americans viewed the segregation problem as one only between whites and blacks, not whites and mexicans. Mexicans: 2nd largest minority group in us; history of school segregation resistance. Unclear if mexicans experienced de facto or de jure segregation: de facto: condition that occurs naturally by fact; not required by law, de jure: imposed by the law. Most think that mexican segregation was de facto because product of local custom and because state governments never sanctioned it.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers