POL SCI 40 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Intellectual Disability, School Prayer, Reproductive Rights

30 views4 pages

Document Summary

Sometimes, individuals believe an authority like the police or congress abridges an established freedom. Greatest ad(cid:448)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374) (cid:272)i(cid:448)il rights: (cid:449)he(cid:374) a (cid:374)atio(cid:374)al (cid:373)ajority took up a (cid:373)i(cid:374)ority"s (cid:272)ause. Civil rights require majority to push the full force of the fed gov: contrast civil liberties. Civil liberties: where national majorities will be contrained in fixing national policy. Limit gov to impose conformity costs on individuals/minorities with diff views. Insisted to be placed in constitution by antifederalists. 2 or more clear ones oppose each other. Even all 3 branches of gov disagree in meaning. Some delegates believe constitution did not address civil liberties and flirted with tyranny. 14th amendment (citizenship rights and freedom of slaves) 14th amendment interpreted to apply bill of rights to state and local gov incorporation binding on state and not just fed gov. Baltimore road repairs caused gravel and sand in his area. Barron sued the city for violating property rights (5th amendment)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers