HUM 2210 Chapter Notes - Chapter 20: Purgatory, Individualism, Counter-Reformation

34 views4 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Enmity and war between charles v and francis i (charles bought the holy empire crown that. Francis i also was competing for, sparking the fight) Both charles v and francis i were catholic. Peace to battle protestants (better together mindset) Pressured pope paul iii to call general council council of trent. Create internal discipline within the catholic church as an organization. Bishops returned to their dioceses (jurisdiction of where they oversee religious life) Bishops were to be more active with congregation (regularly preach, observe priests and their religious practices, wanted to be more active/engaged generally with parishioners in their dioceses themselves) Transubstantiation, clerical celibacy, reality of purgatory, veneration of saints and relic and the power of indulgences. 1542 roman inquisition (method for enforcing counter-reformation reforms) 1478 spanish inquisition (purpose was to expel/convert non-christian spaniards to. Jews: alumbrados (the illuminated ones; christian mystics heretical view that they could have a direct relationship with god)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers