MATH 273 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Starbucks, Confidence Interval, Null Hypothesis

95 views5 pages
Isbah Afzal
Investigative Task
Due: 12/10/17
Survey Material:
Question: Considering both your academic and social experience at Towson altogether, do you
believe you have had a positive experience?
Response: Yes/No Gender: Age: University class status: (F/So/J/S)
Table 1: Raw data.
Responses
M/F
status
Yes
F
Freshman
Yes
F
Freshman
Yes
F
Freshman
Yes
M
Sophomore
Yes
F
Sophomore
Yes
F
Freshman
Yes
M
Junior
Yes
M
Sophomore
Yes
F
Freshman
Yes
F
Sophomore
Yes
F
Junior
Yes
M
Freshman
Yes
M
Sophomore
Yes
F
Sophomore
Yes
M
Senior
Yes
F
Sophomore
Yes
M
Junior
Yes
F
Sophomore
Yes
M
Sophomore
Yes
M
Freshman
Yes
F
Sophomore
No
F
Junior
No
F
Freshman
No
M
Freshman
No
F
Sophomore
No
M
Senior
No
F
Junior
No
F
Sophomore
No
M
Sophomore
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
No
F
Sophomore
No
M
Senior
No
M
Sophomore
I
Conducting a Survey
Description of sample: The question for my survey was, “Considering both your academic and
social experience at Towson altogether, do you believe you have had a positive experience?”.
There were two choices to choose from i.e. Yes or No. Along with the choices, students being
surveyed had to provide their age, gender, and academic status as well. The total number of
students surveyed were 32 in which 18 were females and 12 were males. In total, 19 out of 32
students said that they had a positive experience at Towson, academically and socially.
Process of data collection: The data was collected at three different places, The Freedom Square,
library and in Biology classroom. The reason I chose these three places was because, people
found at freedom square are usually there to hang out with friends, so they somewhat had an idea
of how to separate some time from their academic life to socialize with friends. I also collected
data from the library because most of the students are there to study and have a better idea of
how their academic life has impacted their overall experience. And the biology class consisted of
mostly bio majors and most probably consisted a mixture of both types of students i.e. the ones
who are mostly socializing and those who are mostly studious.
The question was written on a paper slip and there were blank slips for students to write their
answers on. According to their experience, the students wrote Yes or No, and then their age,
gender, and class status on the blank piece of paper. Their names or TU ID was not required of
them. After answering the question, the students were asked to put the slip in a bag.
Collected data: None of the values collected in the data were thrown out. The data was typed
down on a word document and then converted to .txt format to be uploaded on stat crunch.
II
Analysis
Since the variable is categorical, the normal distribution will be used. The following assumptions
are needed to be checked before any further steps:
Independence assumption: the students surveyed were independent of each other. The
experience one student had did not affect the experience of another student.
Randomization condition: The survey method was not random because it did not
represent the whole Towson population.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Description of sample: the question for my survey was, considering both your academic and social experience at towson altogether, do you believe you have had a positive experience? . There were two choices to choose from i. e. yes or no. Along with the choices, students being surveyed had to provide their age, gender, and academic status as well. The total number of students surveyed were 32 in which 18 were females and 12 were males. In total, 19 out of 32 students said that they had a positive experience at towson, academically and socially. Process of data collection: the data was collected at three different places, the freedom square, library and in biology classroom. I also collected data from the library because most of the students are there to study and have a better idea of how their academic life has impacted their overall experience.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers