RSOC 9 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Clifford Geertz, Neurosis, Friedrich Schleiermacher

40 views3 pages

Document Summary

Week one: asking the right questions & livingston: ch. This is important when trying to understand religions. I believe religions strive to appeal to the public in order to invite more potential followers. One way they do this is provide certain texts describing their beliefs, traditions, and particular rules to abide to throughout their life. When reading these religious scriptures, it"s essential to not mindlessly agree or dismiss what is written. By asking yourself, for example, why these activities are done, you begin to expand your perspective and understanding of what you just read, allowing you to formulate your own thoughts on the subject. I believe the panning-for-gold method will really help me understand not only religions, but also anything else in life. I think questioning, counter-arguing, and connecting your own viewpoints are great ways to address what religions strive to teach you about their views on life because it prevents you from having a narrow view in life.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers