SLHS 30600 Chapter Notes - Chapter Unit 2: Vocal Folds, Thoracic Cavity, Thyroid Cartilage

124 views5 pages

Document Summary

3 anatomy and physiology of the speech mechanism: primary purpose: breathing, secondary purpose: supporting speech production, preparatory breath: breath taken in before producing speech, more air volume than when at rest. For speech inhalation only takes up approximately 10% of the inhalation-exhalation cycle, while 90% is devoted to exhalation which supports the airstream for speech. For resting breathing inhalation and exhalation each comprise about 50% of one cycle. The lips: open and close in the production of several speech sounds: maxilla: upper jaw, supports the upper lip, mandible: lower jaw, supports the lower lip, bilabial phoneme: sounds produced with both lips (i. e. p, b, m, w) In english, the lower lip is more mobile. Labial: the sounds associated with the lips (i. e. p, b, m, w, f, v) Labiodental: phonemes that involve the articulation of the lower lip and the teeth (i. e. f, v) Ows into the nasal cavity during production (i. e. m, n, ng)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers