PSY 202 Chapter Notes - Chapter 9: Convergent Thinking, Divergent Thinking, Belief Perseverance

70 views7 pages
24 Jan 2016
Department
Course

Document Summary

Spring 2016 semester: what is cognition and what are the function of concepts? (9. 1) Cognitive psychologists focus on mental activities associated with thinking, knowing, remembering, and communicating information. concepts: mental groupings of similar objects, events, ideas, or people. i. e. chair. Concepts are often formed using prototypes a mental image or best example of a category. It takes people longer to recognize things that don"t easily fit a prototype. The answer to all of those questions are yes; but it may take people longer to get there because the items do not readily fit their category based on the prototypes. What cognitive strategies assist our problem solving, and what obstacles hinder it? (9. 2) Continually trying (and failing) until a solution is reached i. e. thomas edison and the lightbulb step-by-step procedures that guarantee a solution. Pro: you will eventually come to a solution. Con: this method can be laborious and time consuming i. e. solving a rubiks cube.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers