PSYC 2000 Chapter : PSYCH Chapter 4 Outline

11 views7 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What is consciousness and what creatures experience it: operational definition: awareness and alert to ones surroundings, problematic use of awareness b/c does not satisfy as a critical component of consciousness, rene decarte: french philosopher who proposed. Dualism the pressure of matter, and nonmatter: william james: american psychologist/physician/philosopher stream of consciousness, the i and self, similar to what we think of as the soul or mind. Tend to me mystical but not religious: sigmund freud: austrian, neural correlates: consciousness arises from the brain not the soul. An integration of various brain regions and cognitive abilities: implications: consciousness is not dichotomous (i. e. on or off), but dimensional degrees of consciousness. Animals are conscious, humans show varying levels of consciousness, and computers can potentially be conscious. Daniel dennett: american philosopher and cognitive scientist university of tufts. Consciousness is a subjective state, the experience or feeling of being aware. Electroencephalography (eeg): measures electrical changes in the cortex through the skin and scalp.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers