CPO-2002 Chapter 12: Presidential democracies

32 views2 pages
10 Nov 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Lack of data about government formation in presidential democracies. Government in a presidential democracy comprises the president and the cabinet. President: political chief executive in a presidential democracy; also the head of state. Legislative responsibility does not exist governments do not have to maintain majority legislative support to remain in office. No uncertainty about the identity of the formateur always the president. Preside(cid:374)t(cid:859)s party (cid:373)ust (cid:271)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)luded i(cid:374) ea(cid:272)h (cid:272)a(cid:271)i(cid:374)et regardless of its legislative size. Members of the legislative delegation can often vote against cabinet-sponsored bills without fear of forcing new elections. Portfolio coalition does not imply a legislative coalition: portfolio coalition: composed of those legislators belonging to parties in the cabinet, legislative coalition: voting bloc composed of legislators who support a piece of legislation. Presidents have no constitutional imperative to form majority cabinets. Minority governments will be more frequent in presidential systems than in parliamentary ones.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers