PHIL 200 Chapter Notes -American Philosophical Association, Alan Soble, The Philosophical Quarterly

18 views4 pages
Chapter 7 MASTURBATION: CONCEPTUAL AND ETHICAL MATTERS Alan Soble This vice, which shame
and timidity find so convenient, has a particular attraction for lively imaginations.
It allows them to dispose, so to speak, of the whole female sex at their will, and to make any beauty
who tempts them serve their pleasure without the need of first obtaining her consent.
Jean-Jacques Rousseau1 67 My philosophical writing on masturbation has a long history.
The first piece I wrote on the topic, "Sexual Desire and Sexual Objects," was a paper I presented, not
long out of graduate school, at the Pacific Division meetings of the American Philosophical
Association.
Soon after that I published an essay on the topic, "Masturbation," which appeared in Pacific
Philosophical Quarterly 61: 233-44.
I resisted the kind advice of the editors of the journal to alter the title; they reasonably feared that
some readers would unfairly take its title to be descriptive of the essay's content.
A greatly revised, mostly new, version of that early essay, "Masturbation and Sexual Philosophy,"
was included eleven years later in the second edition of The Philosophy of Sex: Contemporary
Readings.
I continued to read and think about masturbation and sexuality and the results of my additional
research emerged in Sexual Investigations, chap.
Part of that chapter, of course revised, was included the next year as "Masturbation" in the third
edition of The Philosophy of Sex; it was further changed in various ways to form the less technical
"Philosophies of Masturbation," which is to appear in Martha Cornog, ed.
The article included in this fourth edition of Philosophy of Sex is an amalgam, modification,
correction, and expansion of some of the work mentioned in this note.
For more ruminations on the issues discussed in this paper, see my The Philosophy of Sex and Love:
An Introduction.
I]f your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class