AMST 190 Chapter 2-3: AMST 190- Response to Frat Article in Reading

40 views2 pages
Question (and Observation): I suppose this question (which can also serve as an
observation) that doesn’t just deal with last week’s readings regarding fraternity
life, but it also addresses our discussions of said readings as well. I was just curious
as to why it’s always fraternity
life that is often so negatively scrutinized, while
sororities seem to go under the radar. While it’s true many people frown at Greek
life in general and what it entails for college students, it’s often that with a little
digging, it seems people are mostly concerned with fraternity life. It just struck me
as interesting, because fraternity life was the only type of Greek life discussed in
the readings, as well. I feel like this is the case due to the amounts of hazing that
have occurred within such quarters, resulting in incidents occurring at schools like
FSU and the like. A recurring trend within these articles, also, was the amounts of
bad habits going around in
these frats; these habits include hazing, binge-drinking,
mass vomiting, intensive vomiting, and many more. It would be one thing if it was
just one frat where this was occurring, but because these habits seem to be more
and more mainstream nowadays (and even before), I can understand why frats are
so scrutinized and criticized as they currently are. The only complaint I’ve heard
about sororities were their “elitist” air, which is again something I can understand
since being in Greek life is very expensive and very selective. Besides a little
partying and the “sorority girl” stereotype, sororities are pretty much depicted in a
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Question (and observation): i suppose this question (which can also serve as an observation) that doesn"t just deal with last week"s readings regarding fraternity life, but it also addresses our discussions of said readings as well. I was just curious as to why it"s always fraternity sororities seem to go under the radar. It just struck me as interesting, because fraternity life was the only type of greek life discussed in the readings, as well. I feel like this is the case due to the amounts of hazing that have occurred within such quarters, resulting in incidents occurring at schools like. A recurring trend within these articles, also, was the amounts of bad habits going around in mass vomiting, intensive vomiting, and many more. The only complaint i"ve heard about sororities were their elitist air, which is again something i can understand since being in greek life is very expensive and very selective.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers