LAW 140 Chapter Notes - Chapter Insanity: Irresistible Impulse, Mental Disorder, Insanity Defense

14 views3 pages
4 May 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Cognitive knowledge (narrow): whether d can perceive certain objective features about his behavior (d can describe what he was doing, or can acknowledge the forbidden nature of his conduct) a. ii. 1. a. i. Can internalize the enormity of the criminal act, and thus emotionally appreciate its wrongfulness a. ii. 2. Able to relate what is known to the situation at hand and govern accordingly a. iii. 3. Act was wrong: irresistible impulse test: usually an addition to the m"naghten test (broadens scope) b. i. A person is insane if, at the time of the offense: b. i. 1. He acted from an irresistible and uncontrollable impulse; b. i. 2. He lost the power to choose between the right and wrong, and to avoid doing the act in question, as that his free agency was at the time destroyed, or b. i. 3. D"s will has been otherwise than voluntarily so completely destroyed that his actions are not subject to it, but are beyond his control: product test c. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers