CAS PY 212 Chapter Notes - Chapter Chapter 1: International System Of Units, Ammeter, Switch

90 views8 pages
28 Dec 2017
Department
Professor

Document Summary

In solving many physics problems, it is necessary to use the value of one or more physical constants. Examples are the velocity of light, c, and mass of the electron, me. Fundamental physical constants are universal since their values are believed to be the same regardless of the time or place in the universe. Some constants can be measured individually, but usually experiments yield only the values of combinations; for example e/me, e/hc, or mec2. The individual values are obtained by equating and canceling among the combinations. In this experiment, you will measure the combination e/me. The technique involves the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field. It should be noted that the value for e/me is very precisely known: (1. 7588047 0. 0000049) x 1011 coulomb/kg. The magnetic field used in this lab is far less precisely known, nevertheless, you should be able to obtain the first few decimal places. Motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers